AEI Consultants, founded in 1992, is pleased to be celebrating 25 years in business. Twenty-five years ago, our founder, Craig Hertz, started All Environmental, Inc. (AEI) out of his garage in Lafayette, California with his first employee, Dusty Roy, who remains on staff today. AEI’s first projects were underground storage tank (UST) removals, and they rapidly grew the firm’s services to include Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments. As the result of a major client encouraging Craig to open additional office locations across the US, AEI opened offices in Southern California, Florida, Illinois, Colorado and New York, with AEI’s loyal clients sending us work wherever we opened offices. We now have over 20 offices located across the US and in Europe.
In the early 2000s, AEI began offering building assessments, and now includes a team of engineers and architects providing Property Condition Assessments (PCAs) and other facility evaluations in addition to our environmental expertise. On the environmental side, AEI provides full-service remediation services nationally taking projects from assessment through regulatory closure, if needed. AEI’s wide range of services now also includes ALTA surveys, zoning analyses, energy efficiency consulting, and hazardous building materials services.
From the beginning, Craig’s approach to growing AEI was about having personal relationships with clients and an attitude of “yes”. Craig has always emphasized one-on-one connections with clients to understand their business, and has preferred that “old fashioned” approach over flashy marketing approaches. Not to say he doesn’t value marketing – A story from the first year of AEI was that Craig convinced the flight attendants on a flight (while traveling to do project work) to help him stuff envelopes of marketing flyers for tank removal services. Craig has met clients on ski lifts, at hockey games, on flights, at Starbucks …. He’s never met a stranger and always tries to help anyone he meets. With Craig as the Founder and guide of our approach to building our business through service, AEI is proud to have evolved into a full-service firm with a strong corporate culture and a diverse client base.
Craig’s stated goal to be the engineer of the dreams of his staff has been delivered hundreds of times over – With a staff over 270, including many who have served nearly 20 years such as AEI’s CEO, Holly Neber, who started at the company in 1999 as a Phase I ESA Project Manager; Paul Hinkston, AEI’s COO, who also started in 1999, and a host of others on the leadership team. In addition to the long tenure of many of the leadership team, key personnel with significant industry experience have also joined the team in the last few years adding to the depth of perspectives in guiding the company.
Another key milestone in AEI’s history was becoming employee owned in 2014. We each hold a vision for long-term success at the company, and look forward to passing the torch of leadership to the next generation of leaders.
Over the last 25 years, AEI has developed a deep sense of company culture embodied by the following values, developed as a collective effort by AEI employees. These values are:
- Competent & Proud of our Work: We use our best efforts to deliver an excellent result.
- Client Focused: We are client focused and responsive – our passion is exceeding expectations.
- Impactful: We improve the quality of life of our customers and communities through responsible solutions to their most pressing challenges.
- Entrepreneurial: We are adaptive, creative, resourceful and we look for ways to say “YES.”
- Committed: We are “All-In”! You can count on us.
- Cohesive: We are connected through respect and camaraderie.
- Flexible & Independent: We encourage and value independence and trust each other to get it done.
- Trusted: Our relationships are strengthened through honest, ethical and reliable action.
- Passionate: We are passionate about each other and our clients. We are curious and eager to learn.
- Resilient: We value diversity in backgrounds and opportunities because that makes us stronger.
- We have an empowering environment that attracts and retains the best.
“The AEI Family is proud of what has been accomplished over the last 25 years, and looking forward to the next 25 years of service to our staff of current and future leaders and our family of clients. We love serving as an extension of your team.” said CEO Holly Neber.