Green building assessments helps clients estimate the costs and benefits of sustainable investments and determines where to focus these costs in providing the greatest “green” impact.
Building Energy Performance Audits (BEPA)
Based on an increased awareness about energy efficiency and “green” buildings, ASTM International developed the Standard Practice for Building Energy Performance Assessment (BEPA) for a Building Involved in a Real Estate Transaction (ASTM E2797).
The goal of the BEPA process is to document historical energy performance, identify the range of building energy use and costs (upper and lower limit scenarios), and provide a pro forma energy use and pro forma energy cost for the building.
A BEPA Study has five components:
- Site Visits – To observe the building during the walk-through and document the building characteristics (property type, building age, last major renovation, number of floors, square footage, occupancy, heating system, air conditioning system, energy sources etc.), conduct interviews and collect records not previously provided.
- Interviews – With the present owner, operator, and/or key site manager at the building
- Records collection – Collect and compile the records necessary (energy consumption, energy costs, weather data, hours of operation, occupancy rates etc. over the previous three years, with a minimum of one year, or back to the last major building renovation if completed less than three years ago)
- Records review and analysis – Review and analysis of records collected
- Report – Report on the findings related to building energy use and energy cost.
A BEPA as described in this practice is appropriate for properties where utility/energy costs are centralized and paid by the property owner, manager, or operator and may include, but are not limited to, office, retail, hotel/lodging, warehouse, and industrial properties.
Information collected is standardized in performance metrics kBTU/SF and normalized as appropriate for occupancy, degree days, and other variables. A BEPA can be further expanded utilizing the Energy Star program to allow for benchmarking of the building.
Green Property Condition Assessments
AEI’s team of experienced professionals enables clients to achieve their energy efficiency goals by offering energy performance assessments and energy saving recommendations. Awareness of energy waste will help customers improve the energy performance of their facilities, leading to improvements to the company’s bottom line and ultimately saving significant amounts of energy. These services are provided independently or as a supplemental service to a Property Condition Assessment.
Energy Audits assist clients to optimize energy performance by:
- Determining how energy is being consumed
- Reducing energy consumption and operating cost
- Complying with new laws / regulations
- Promoting social responsibility by reducing green house gas emissions
- Increasing tenant satisfaction and productivity